Many believe that ‘Over the Counter’ or OTC drugs are not dangerous as they can be purchased without a prescription.
This simply isn’t true. There can be adverse effects of OTCs.
For pain ‘relief’ common types are Acetaminophen, such as Tylenol and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), such as aspirin, Advil and Aleve. While these medications can provide temporary ‘relief’ from pain, even these OTC drugs can cause problems, consider:
- Taking a higher than the recommended dosage, which can put the user at risk or an overdose.
- Taking the medication more frequently or for a longer period of time than necessary, which can put the user at risk or an overdose.
- Possible adverse effects such nausea and dizziness. Also more serious effects such as stomach bleeds, liver damage and ulcers.
- Adverse reactions with vitamins, other OTCs, prescription drugs and alcohol.
- It’s also possible to cause more damage to your body while the pain reliever ‘masks’ the problem.
When we hear advertisements for these OTC drugs, we often hear expressions like:
- Control pain
- Manage pain
- Relief from pain
What about treating the cause of the pain?
OTC pain relievers only cover up or ‘mask’ the pain – they simply don’t treat the cause of the pain.
The pain is the symptom of the problem.
Treat the cause of the pain
Naturally, with therapies such as:
- Chiropractic adjustments
- Cold LASER Therapy
- Soft tissue manipulation
Change the focus to prevention
- Behaviour modification (avoiding the action that caused the pain)
- Maintenance care (regular chiropractic adjustments)
We hope that you can understand how important it is to treat the cause of your pain and work towards getting and keeping you healthy proactively.
Please reach out to us if you have any questions or would like to book an appointment – 519-258-8544
Here are Huron Church Chiropractic and Family Wellness Centre, we believe in a “proactive” health care model.
What is proactive health care?
Proactive health care involves continually taking steps to maintain good health before illness or injury occurs. By working to prevent the occurrence of disease, illness or injury; this model for self-care is better for our health care system and ourselves.
When we take action to monitor and manage our health, we reduce our dependence on our health care providers to manage our illness.
It’s easier to maintain good health than manage sickness.
What is reactive health care?
Reactive health is managing our illness, disease or injury which is more likely to involve surgery, medication, hospital stays, ER visits, chronic pain management, time away from work and a less active and happy life.
Proactive health tips:
- Schedule regular visits to your primary physician, dentist and chiropractor
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Monitor your blood pressure and have your blood tested as recommended
- Regularly perform self-examinations
- Take steps to boost your immune system with vitamin C and antioxidants
- Avoid pollution and toxins in and outside your home
- Stretch and exercise regularly
- Avoid processed foods
- Stay hydrated, drinking plenty of water
- Get restful sleep
- Practice stress management techniques
Final considerations about proactive or preventative self-care:
- You will be better able to avoid potential health problems
- You will more likely to detect early symptoms of disease or illness
- Early detection may help with treatment of your illness or injury
Regular chiropractic care is an important element of a preventative health care approach. We would like to be your partners in your proactive health strategy: Please call us to schedule your appointment and to discuss your wellness plan. 519-258-8544
Some people who have never visited a chiropractor may ask: Is a chiropractic adjustment safe?
Chiropractic is widely recognized as one of the safest, non-invasive and drug-free options available for relief and symptom improvement for a wide variety of physical ailments.
Chiropractic care has an excellent safety record, although it’s important to note that no medical treatment is completely risk-free of adverse affects.
While most patients experience relief after a chiropractic adjustment, some people may feel:
- Slight discomfort, mild soreness or brief pain which generally lasts no longer than 24 hours
It’s important to us that all patients are confident and informed. If you are considering chiropractic care and have concerns, please reach out to us: 519-258-8544
 Senstad O, et al. Frequency and characteristics of side effects of spinal manipulative therapy. Spine 1997 Feb 15;435-440.
You’re busy. You give it your all. Your to-do list seems endless. You’re pulled in a million directions, trying to keep up with work, family and household demands.
Are you truly taking care of yourself?
Practicing self-care not only benefits you but also everyone and everything in your life.
Here’s a little inspiration for improved self-care:
- Make good sleep a priority. It’s how your body recharges and heals itself.
- Plan and prepare healthy meals in advance as a family activity. Give your body the fuel it needs to meet the day’s demands.
- Take time for yourself every day. Exercise, take a walk, chat with a friend, try meditation or read.
- Let go of comparisons. Everyone has unique gifts as well as struggles.
- Be proactive with your health. Visit your doctor, get a massage and see your chiropractor regularly.
Remember that perfection is not only unrealistic, it’s also subjective. Instead of striving for perfection, congratulate yourself on doing your best.
Family Day is a relatively new holiday in Ontario. While many of us are grateful to have this day off, we may not have any traditions established with our families, and we know that traditions are very important to create a positive family culture.
We’d like to recommend initiating happy and healthy Family Day traditions.
- Disconnect to reconnect – Request that your family completely disconnect from all the distracting electronic devices on Family Day to help keep the focus on what’s important – your family; the people right in front of you.
- Choose an activity – Explore Windsor – Essex together, choosing a healthy activity to do every year. Take a hike on the Greenway, explore the Windsor Riverfront Sculpture Park, visit Point Pelee or check out a local museum.
- Plan and prepare a healthy meal together – Children learn from example, and a healthy meal is a great way to demonstrate the importance of good health.
- Play games – Break out the traditional board or card games and enjoy quality time with the ones you love.
Family and good health are the two most important aspects of a good life. Creating great memories with a healthy focus is the perfect way to spend Family Day.
Have any other suggestions for Family Day activities? Please leave a comment below.
There are two main goals for chiropractic care: short term relief from painful symptoms and long term overall health benefits.
Short term pain relief
Chiropractic adjustments help people find all natural, drug-free pain relief; treating the cause of the discomfort, not just the symptoms.
Chiropractic care can help:
- Restore mobility
- Improve joint flexibility
- Reduce inflammation
Longterm benefits of regular chiropractic care:
Patients who regularly utilize chiropractic services experience many positive long term and long lasting benefits.
- Helps restore the natural healing abilities within your own body
- Improved mood, energy levels and better sleep
- Helps to avoid future injuries
We are here for you in times of sickness and health. Please reach out to us to begin your regular chiropractic care schedule. 519-258-8544