School’s out for the children in Windsor and Essex County and many parents and caregivers are wondering how to keep their kids active this summer. Perhaps you want to limit the time your children spend on electronic devices, keep their brains active, encourage creativity and build family memories.
We suggest creating a healthy and active summer bucket list as a family.
Here are some fun, healthy and low-cost considerations for your family’s summer bucket list.
- Visit a farmer’s market and see if your family can make a full day’s healthy menu from only local products
- Create a goal of how far to walk along Windsor’s Riverfront
- Challenge your family to bike a lengthy portion of the Greenway
- Walk all the way from the Visitor’s Centre at Point Pelee to the very tip of the Point
- Be “junk food free” for an entire week
- Work together on a low-cost backyard project, such as building a campfire pit, a fairy garden or a pallet project
- Disconnect everyone from wifi and cellular data for a day and spend the time working on a family project or playing board games
A bucket list can create lasting family memories, and adding healthy challenges may just become healthy habits.
Let us know your healthy bucket list items! Good luck and enjoy!
It’s a special day for Canadians and Canada as we come together to celebrate Canada’s 150th birthday!
How you are celebrating? Whether you’re a die-hard patriot or use this holiday as relaxing downtime away from work; there are so many fun activities happening in Windsor – Essex.
Here are a few fun suggestions for a fun and active Canada Day:
- Parades – there are several family-friendly parades and activities happening in Windsor and Essex County communities. Check out the local community calendar in your municipality.
- Explore – visit a community you haven’t been to in a while. Rediscover their parks, beaches and green spaces.
- Prepare a fresh summer meal – check out a local farmer’s market and challenge your family to prepare and enjoy a “local-only” meal.
- Create a summer bucket list – involve your family to create a list of all the fun things you plan on doing together this summer.
From all of us at Huron Church Chiropractic and Family Wellness Centre, we wish you a fun and active Canada Day. Enjoy!
Many of us may find it hard to believe that we’re nearly half-way through the year, but the calendar doesn’t lie!
With the bounty of summer nearing and all the fantastic outdoor activities available to us in Windsor and Essex County, now is a great time to review and renew our commitment to improved health.
How are you doing with your health goals? Are you more active? Healthier? Happier? Less stressed? Here are some considerations and healthy inspiration for you:
We’re here for you! If we can help you, please reach out to us. 519-258-8544
Saturday, June 3rd is National Health and Fitness Day in Canada: What a great opportunity to get your family active and take stock of your overall wellness!
Good health is more than just eating right; it’s about general wellbeing. Here are some suggestions to commemorate National Health and Fitness Day:
- Plan some outdoor activities with the family
- Enjoy quality down time together; keep the electronic devices away and have some real conversations
- Prepare healthy meals together
- Start a discussion with your family on how you can all be more active, healthier and happier
If you have visited us for a chiropractic appointment, and depending on your condition, you may have experienced that a chiropractic visit at Huron Church Chiropractic and Family Wellness Centre usually entails more than just a chiropractic adjustment.
We believe in treating the root cause of the problem, and that often entails the use of other non-invasive therapies.
These therapies may include:
- Heat Therapy – Helps reduce muscle pain and stiffness by improving blow flow to the area of focus.
- Electrical Stimulation – By sending light electrical pulses to the affected area of the body, circulation improves, muscle spasms reduce and the endorphins are released (the body’s natural pain reliever).
- Ultrasound – Helps reduce pain, stiffness, improves blood flow and accelerates the healing process with pain-free sound waves creating a deep heat therapy.
- Massage – A brief soft tissue massage performed by your chiropractor or with an electrical appliance, helps reduce muscle tension, improve circulation as well as the many other benefits of massage therapy.
- Trigger Point Therapy – Muscle tension can often immediately be relieved by applying heavy pressure to a particular area using fingers or thumbs.
- Cold LASER Therapy – Is a fast, safe, and effective healing modality, which helps speed up healing, as well as reduce pain.
- “Take Home” Recommendations – Chiropractors are trained to give recommendations to help your body heal and keep it healthy. Recommendations may include exercise, stretches, ergonomic improvements, lifestyle changes and nutrition and supplement advice.
Depending on your ailment, we often utilize multiple therapies in one visit to give you the best value for your time, money and health. Please reach out to us if you have any questions or to schedule your next visit: 519-258-8544
April is Nation Volunteer Month. Volunteering not only benefits your personal cause; it’s also good for your health!
When we give to others, we feel better about ourselves. Volunteering can help create a sense of purpose in our lives and improves happiness.
Focusing our time and energy on others helps put personal challenges in perspective. Reducing stress has many physical and psychological benefits.
Your commitment to volunteering sets a positive example for your family, friends and your community.
Extend your network
Volunteering to a cause you care about will place you in contact with like-minded people. These bonds can help create a sense of belonging, which will benefit you personally and professionally.
Learn and grow
Volunteering can help with personal growth as you may learn a new skill, be challenged, mentally stimulated, meet new people and be more active in your community.
It may be hard for you to find time to volunteer, but the effects of your commitment will have far reaching positive implications for you and for your community!
If you’re looking for volunteer opportunities in Windsor – Essex, here are a few resources for you to check out.
Kijiji Windsor – Essex