Labour Day marks the unofficial end of summer. Children will soon be returning to their school routines, as will their parents.
As we enter the last few months of the year, it’s a good time to reflect on your health successes and recommit to your goals.
Here are a few articles to help inspire you:
Healthy Choices Become Healthy Habits
Want Better Health? Get Back to the Basics
It’s Easy to Be More Active
From our family at Huron Church Chiropractic, we wish you a happy and healthy Labour Day weekend.
When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive – to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love. — Marcus Aurelius
Research has shown that the most successful people in the world share similar morning habits. Many of these habits involve establishing a healthy start to the day. To find the extra time to add these healthy actions into your day, it’s recommended that going to bed at night and rising in the morning 5 minutes earlier, each day for a week.
Consider adding one of the following healthy morning ideas to your new routine each week.
- Avoid sensory overload for the first half hour in the day and leave cell phones, TVs and other electronic devices off.
- Drink water immediately after waking to help start your digestion and hydrate your body.
- Open the blinds and if possible spend a few quiet moments outside.
- Take 5 minutes to stretch, breathe deeply and listen to your body.
- Spend 5 minutes doing one of the following:
- Reading something positive or motivating
- Write in a journal
- Listing things that you’re grateful for
- Listen to music
- Repeat positive affirmations to yourself
- Take a few minutes to review your plan for the day and prioritize based on importance.
- Eat a healthy, fresh and well-balanced breakfast.
When you are able to approach your day in a purposeful and calm manner, the benefits will last throughout even a hectic day. The healthy actions in your morning will compound and spread, positively affecting your entire life.
Many of us may find it hard to believe that we’re nearly half-way through the year, but the calendar doesn’t lie!
With the bounty of summer nearing and all the fantastic outdoor activities available to us in Windsor and Essex County, now is a great time to review and renew our commitment to improved health.
How are you doing with your health goals? Are you more active? Healthier? Happier? Less stressed? Here are some considerations and healthy inspiration for you:
We’re here for you! If we can help you, please reach out to us. 519-258-8544
Here are Huron Church Chiropractic and Family Wellness Centre, we believe in a “proactive” health care model.
What is proactive health care?
Proactive health care involves continually taking steps to maintain good health before illness or injury occurs. By working to prevent the occurrence of disease, illness or injury; this model for self-care is better for our health care system and ourselves.
When we take action to monitor and manage our health, we reduce our dependence on our health care providers to manage our illness.
It’s easier to maintain good health than manage sickness.
What is reactive health care?
Reactive health is managing our illness, disease or injury which is more likely to involve surgery, medication, hospital stays, ER visits, chronic pain management, time away from work and a less active and happy life.
Proactive health tips:
- Schedule regular visits to your primary physician, dentist and chiropractor
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Monitor your blood pressure and have your blood tested as recommended
- Regularly perform self-examinations
- Take steps to boost your immune system with vitamin C and antioxidants
- Avoid pollution and toxins in and outside your home
- Stretch and exercise regularly
- Avoid processed foods
- Stay hydrated, drinking plenty of water
- Get restful sleep
- Practice stress management techniques
Final considerations about proactive or preventative self-care:
- You will be better able to avoid potential health problems
- You will more likely to detect early symptoms of disease or illness
- Early detection may help with treatment of your illness or injury
Regular chiropractic care is an important element of a preventative health care approach. We would like to be your partners in your proactive health strategy: Please call us to schedule your appointment and to discuss your wellness plan. 519-258-8544
Saturday, June 3rd is National Health and Fitness Day in Canada: What a great opportunity to get your family active and take stock of your overall wellness!
Good health is more than just eating right; it’s about general wellbeing. Here are some suggestions to commemorate National Health and Fitness Day:
- Plan some outdoor activities with the family
- Enjoy quality down time together; keep the electronic devices away and have some real conversations
- Prepare healthy meals together
- Start a discussion with your family on how you can all be more active, healthier and happier
April is Nation Volunteer Month. Volunteering not only benefits your personal cause; it’s also good for your health!
When we give to others, we feel better about ourselves. Volunteering can help create a sense of purpose in our lives and improves happiness.
Focusing our time and energy on others helps put personal challenges in perspective. Reducing stress has many physical and psychological benefits.
Your commitment to volunteering sets a positive example for your family, friends and your community.
Extend your network
Volunteering to a cause you care about will place you in contact with like-minded people. These bonds can help create a sense of belonging, which will benefit you personally and professionally.
Learn and grow
Volunteering can help with personal growth as you may learn a new skill, be challenged, mentally stimulated, meet new people and be more active in your community.
It may be hard for you to find time to volunteer, but the effects of your commitment will have far reaching positive implications for you and for your community!
If you’re looking for volunteer opportunities in Windsor – Essex, here are a few resources for you to check out.
Kijiji Windsor – Essex