Many of us may find it hard to believe that we’re nearly half-way through the year, but the calendar doesn’t lie!
With the bounty of summer nearing and all the fantastic outdoor activities available to us in Windsor and Essex County, now is a great time to review and renew our commitment to improved health.
How are you doing with your health goals? Are you more active? Healthier? Happier? Less stressed? Here are some considerations and healthy inspiration for you:
We’re here for you! If we can help you, please reach out to us. 519-258-8544
Here are Huron Church Chiropractic and Family Wellness Centre, we believe in a “proactive” health care model.
What is proactive health care?
Proactive health care involves continually taking steps to maintain good health before illness or injury occurs. By working to prevent the occurrence of disease, illness or injury; this model for self-care is better for our health care system and ourselves.
When we take action to monitor and manage our health, we reduce our dependence on our health care providers to manage our illness.
It’s easier to maintain good health than manage sickness.
What is reactive health care?
Reactive health is managing our illness, disease or injury which is more likely to involve surgery, medication, hospital stays, ER visits, chronic pain management, time away from work and a less active and happy life.
Proactive health tips:
- Schedule regular visits to your primary physician, dentist and chiropractor
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Monitor your blood pressure and have your blood tested as recommended
- Regularly perform self-examinations
- Take steps to boost your immune system with vitamin C and antioxidants
- Avoid pollution and toxins in and outside your home
- Stretch and exercise regularly
- Avoid processed foods
- Stay hydrated, drinking plenty of water
- Get restful sleep
- Practice stress management techniques
Final considerations about proactive or preventative self-care:
- You will be better able to avoid potential health problems
- You will more likely to detect early symptoms of disease or illness
- Early detection may help with treatment of your illness or injury
Regular chiropractic care is an important element of a preventative health care approach. We would like to be your partners in your proactive health strategy: Please call us to schedule your appointment and to discuss your wellness plan. 519-258-8544
Our goal as parents is to raise happy, healthy and active children. We’d like to offer you 6 reasons why regular chiropractic care is important for children of all ages.
Children are hard on their bodies
Whether your child is involved in sports or prefers to spend their time playing on mobile devices; their young bodies can be easily misaligned.
Your child’s body is in a constant state of change, and regular chiropractic care helps restore and maintain their body for optimum functioning, relieving tension and stress as their body changes.
Good habits start early
Good posture starts in childhood and last lasting benefits. Chiropractors can also encourage proper head positioning while on electronic devices.
Set a good example
When you utilize regular chiropractic care for yourself you and your children, you demonstrate the importance of good health: setting a life-long example of the importance of good self-care.
In sickness and in health
Removing interference from the nervous system helps your child’s body operate in its natural healthy state.
Better sleep and related benefits
Our nerves affect every aspect of our body, and when there is interference it can result in sleep, concentration and even behavioural issues.
Overall good health
Our spine houses our nerves, and our nervous controls our whole body. Chiropractic care helps support nervous system functioning; which means your child’s entire body will benefit.
Everyone with a spine benefits from chiropractic care. Begin your child’s healthy journey today and call us to schedule your visit: 519-258-8544
Fighting a cold, an infection or flu? Or perhaps you just want to remain healthy? Boosting your immune system doesn’t have to be complicated or expensive.
Boosting your immune system is as simple as living a healthy, active life, such as;
- Eat a wide variety and good balance of fresh fruits, vegetables, grains, meats and legumes
- Sleep well
- Exercise to maintain a healthy weight, build muscle, bone strength and increase flexibility
- Only drink alcohol in moderation and never smoke
- Work to reduce physical and emotional stress
- Wash your hands often to prevent the spread of illness
Be leery of products which claim to boost your immune system. A healthy body continually generates many types of cells critical to immune system functioning. A diet with a wide variety and good balance of food will help your immune system, but a daily multivitamin and mineral supplement may be beneficial.
As with all functions in your body, your nerves are the ‘master control centre’; helping you body to operate at its optimum healthy state – including your immune system.
New York University in 1989 released a study that compared the immune systems of a general selection to those who regularly utilized chiropractic care. During this 3-year period, it was shown that those who received chiropractic adjustments had immune systems that performed 200% greater than those who did not. (1)
In summary, to boost your immune system, live an active, health-focused, well balanced life and include regular chiropractic visits. Please reach out to us for more information or to schedule your chiropractic appointment: 519-258-8544
(1) Pero R. Medical Researcher Excited By CBSRF Project Results.The Chiropractic Journal. 1989; 32
Likely you’ve heard the importance of good bone health to keep you active, strong and mobile throughout your entire life.
Bone mass density is determined by the results of a bone scan conducted by a physician. Low bone density may develop into osteoporosis in later life.
Why is good bone health important?
Low bone density and osteoporosis not only affects your bones, it can have a serious impact on your quality of life.
Also consider that bones are responsible for red and white blood cell production. As people age and their bone health diminishes, it is no surprise that older people may also experience reduced energy levels, digestive problems and other issues associated with a weakening immune system.
Factors that affect bone health:
- Level of physical activity
- Poor nutrition as a child or teenage
- Alcohol, tobacco and caffeine use
- Use of certain medications
While some of these factors cannot be changed, there are steps that can be taken at any stage in life to improve your bone health, including:
- Regular exercise
- Eating a diet healthy, well-balanced diet
- Supplements such as calcium, vitamin D, magnesium vitamin K2 and pre-biotics
With many seniors experiencing aches and pains from everyday activities; this may limit their mobility. Knowing that exercise is a critical element to good bone health, these common aches and pains can act as the catalyst to a loss of bone mass density as a result of a less active lifestyle.
Working with a chiropractor through all stages of life, helping to keep joints properly aligned and mobile will help keep the common aches and pains at bay, naturally.
Chiropractors can help address bone and joint issues such as
- Limited mobility
With your overall health and particularly your bone health, we believe it’s better to be proactive than reactive. If you have any questions or would like to schedule your appointment, please call our office at 519-258-8544.
*How many hours a day do you spend sitting? Reading, using computers, driving, watching TV —all that sitting adds up, especially if you have poor posture.
Did you know that lower back pain and other musculoskeletal (MSK) conditions account for one third of missed work in Canada?
It’s time to Straighten Up Canada and improve your spinal health!
Canada’s chiropractors have developed an app for that. Straighten Up Canada is a FREE, easy-to-perform posture program that you can use in just three minutes a day. It’s the only free Canadian app specifically designed and completely dedicated to improving posture and spinal health.
The Straighten Up Canada program can be practised almost anywhere and is a great warm up, cool down, stand-alone routine or ergonomic break.
Good posture will help you to:
- Look and feel even better than you already do,
- Prevent back aches and muscle pains,
- Decrease wear and tear on your joints,
- Use less energy for daily tasks, and
- Increase your spine’s flexibility and resilience.
Straighten Up Canada app features:
- 12 unique posture exercises
- Adult and youth exercise options
- Easy to follow Image stills and video content
- Tracking function
- Set personal reminders
- Track your progress
- Share your posture exercise progress with friends through social media
- Learn about your back and common back-related problems
- Find a Chiropractor in your area quickly and easily
- Read the latest blog posts on MSK health
Watch the Straighten Up Canada exercise videos online – Adult & Youth
If you’d like more advice on how to improve your posture, please reach out to us: 519-258-8544
*This is an excerpt from the Canadian Chiropractic Association. Please click here to learn more.