Acupuncture works through stimulation of the nervous system.
When a needle is inserted below the dermis, there are many nerve structures that are affected in that local tissue level. When these nerves are stimulated, those ‘signals’ travel up to the brain.
The brain then ‘processes’ those signals and stimulates the release of many different biochemical: like endorphins, serotonin, dopamine, etc.
The stimulation of nerves results in endogenous pain control, meaning that they tap into your body’s own pharmacy, and modulate the release of pain-relieving and anti-inflammatory chemicals.
The tiny needles stimulate local tissues that speed up the healing response and improve the quality of the way the body heals the tissue. They improve your mood, largely due to the stimulation of the release of hormones like serotonin, which will also therefore potentially improves symptoms of depression and anxiety.
It’s important to note that acupuncture benefits the body’s functioning as a whole, but positive results have been seen for the following conditions:
- Neurological conditions: (ex) Headaches, migraines, difficulty sleeping, nervous tension, dizziness.
- Musculoskeletal conditions: (ex) Osteoarthritis, Fibromyalgia, sciatica, lumbago, low back pain, rheumatoid arthritis, gout, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, shoulder pain, neck pain.
- Respiratory conditions: (ex) Asthma, allergies, chronic cough, sore throats, bronchitis, rhinitis, sinusitis, influenza, colds.
- Skin conditions: (ex) Eczema, acne, hair loss, dermatitis, psoriasis, herpes zoster, dandruff.
- Digestive system conditions: (ex) Mouth ulcers, liver and gallbladder disorders, spasms of the oesophagus, gastric ulcers, acid reflux, colitis, IBS, diarrhea, constipation, hemorrhoids, weight control.
- Urogenital conditions: (ex) Cystitis, prostatitis, sex drive, urinary retention, kidney disorders, bladder dysfunction.
- Gynecological conditions: (ex) PMS, abnormal bleeding or discharge, painful, heavy or irregular periods, post-partum depression, hormonal imbalances, symptoms relating to menopause, morning sickness.
- Psychological conditions: (ex) Depression, phobias, anxiety, nervousness, addictions, SAD, stress, sleep disorders.
- Cardiovascular conditions: (ex) Blood pressure, poor circulation, fluid retention, chest pain.
More and more third party insurance companies and WSIB (Worker Safety & Insurance Board) are recognizing the effectiveness of acupuncture, enabling patient treatments to be billable under most health and wellness plans.
Please reach out to our office if you have any questions or to book your appointment: 519-258-8544