This simply isn’t true. There can be adverse effects of OTCs.
For pain ‘relief’ common types are Acetaminophen, such as Tylenol and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), such as aspirin, Advil and Aleve. While these medications can provide temporary ‘relief’ from pain, even these OTC drugs can cause problems, consider:
- Taking a higher than the recommended dosage, which can put the user at risk or an overdose.
- Taking the medication more frequently or for a longer period of time than necessary, which can put the user at risk or an overdose.
- Possible adverse effects such nausea and dizziness. Also more serious effects such as stomach bleeds, liver damage and ulcers.
- Adverse reactions with vitamins, other OTCs, prescription drugs and alcohol.
- It’s also possible to cause more damage to your body while the pain reliever ‘masks’ the problem.
When we hear advertisements for these OTC drugs, we often hear expressions like:
- Control pain
- Manage pain
- Relief from pain
What about treating the cause of the pain?
OTC pain relievers only cover up or ‘mask’ the pain – they simply don’t treat the cause of the pain.
The pain is the symptom of the problem.
Treat the cause of the pain
Naturally, with therapies such as:
- Chiropractic adjustments
- Cold LASER Therapy
- Soft tissue manipulation
Change the focus to prevention
- Behaviour modification (avoiding the action that caused the pain)
- Maintenance care (regular chiropractic adjustments)
We hope that you can understand how important it is to treat the cause of your pain and work towards getting and keeping you healthy proactively.
Please reach out to us if you have any questions or would like to book an appointment – 519-258-8544