When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive – to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love. — Marcus Aurelius
Research has shown that the most successful people in the world share similar morning habits. Many of these habits involve establishing a healthy start to the day. To find the extra time to add these healthy actions into your day, it’s recommended that going to bed at night and rising in the morning 5 minutes earlier, each day for a week.
Consider adding one of the following healthy morning ideas to your new routine each week.
- Avoid sensory overload for the first half hour in the day and leave cell phones, TVs and other electronic devices off.
- Drink water immediately after waking to help start your digestion and hydrate your body.
- Open the blinds and if possible spend a few quiet moments outside.
- Take 5 minutes to stretch, breathe deeply and listen to your body.
- Spend 5 minutes doing one of the following:
- Reading something positive or motivating
- Write in a journal
- Listing things that you’re grateful for
- Listen to music
- Repeat positive affirmations to yourself
- Take a few minutes to review your plan for the day and prioritize based on importance.
- Eat a healthy, fresh and well-balanced breakfast.
When you are able to approach your day in a purposeful and calm manner, the benefits will last throughout even a hectic day. The healthy actions in your morning will compound and spread, positively affecting your entire life.