What do you crave? Potato chips? A greasy cheeseburger? Ice cream? Chocolate cake?
We all experience food cravings in our lives, and there are some simple explanations as to why. Understanding why your body is craving unhealthy food may help you beat it!
See it, want it
Desire for a particular food or drink may be the result of seeing an advertisement for it, or smelling it. While you might not even be aware of the cause of the craving, your unconscious brain wants it.
Comfort and reward
In times of stress food can be a comfort or a method of rewarding oneself. Often these cravings are a habit and the result of cue.
When your body lacks essential minerals or nutrients the body may manifest these needs as a food craving. (ex: If you are experiencing low blood sugar, you may require sugary foods to give your body the boost it needs)
How to beat food cravings
- Eat a healthy, well balanced diet with a focus on whole, natural foods.
- Before giving into unhealthy cravings, take a moment to listen to your body. Are you really hungry? Can you choose a healthier option?
- Consider the unhealthy consequence of giving into your craving.
- Change your environment. (ex: If your craving hits while working at a desk, get up and take a short, brisk walk.)
- Make yourself wait 20 minutes – often the craving will subside or be gone.
- If you’re still battling your craving, try drinking water and stretching.
If you have constant cravings, remember the importance of sleep, managed stress, exercise and a well-balanced diet.
If you feel you still need help to beat your food cravings, acupuncture can be an effective therapy to subside your cravings, please reach out to us: 19-258-8544