Tension headaches are one of the most common and debilitating headache types affecting about 20% of the world’s population.
These headaches can occur as a result of stress and/or muscle and neck tension. Due to our increased stress levels, improper use of electronic devices and sedentary lifestyles, tension headaches are more common and frequent than ever before.
For those who suffer from tension type headaches, it’s better to treat the problem rather than mask the symptoms with analgesics.
How can a Chiropractor help with tension headaches?
- Spinal manipulation by a chiropractor can help alleviate joint irritation and muscle tension
- Chiropractors can offer nutritional advice, depending on the cause of the headaches
- Chiropractors can offer advice on stress reduction, improved posture, ergonomics, exercises and stress reducing relaxation techniques
- Take a movement and stretch break every 30 minutes if you’re normally in a fixed position. Slowly stretch and move all of your body through a comfortable range of motion
- Avoid teeth clenching, as this can lead to a type of tension headache caused by TMJ
- Stay hydrated and drink at least eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day
- Practice relaxation and stress reduction techniques
- Eat a healthy and well balanced diet
If you suffer from regular or occasional tension type headaches, please call the office to arrange for your appointment. We’d be pleased to help you. 519-258-8544
 Vos, T (Dec 15, 2012). “Years lived with disability (YLDs) for 1160 sequelae of 289 diseases and injuries 1990-2010: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2010.”. Lancet 380 (9859): 2163–96. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(12)61729-2.PMID 23245607.