By Dr. Scott Colasanti
Chiropractic is widely recognized as one of the safest drug-free, non-invasive therapies available for the treatment of disorders of the muskuloskeletal and the nervous system, and the effects of these disorders on general health.
There is an emphasis on manual treatments including spinal adjustment or manipulation and other soft-tissue manipulation.
The origin of the word chiropractic comes from the greek word ‘chiro’ meaning ‘hand’ and praktikos meaning ‘the practice of’, hence the whole meaning being ‘done by hand’.
Current research strongly supports the benefits of chiropractic treatment for muskuloskeletal complaints such as low back pain and headache. However the origins of the profession come from success in the benefits of treatment on non-muskuloskeletal complaints. The theory behind this is the focus on the relationship between structure (primarily the spine) and function as coordinated by the nervous system. In other words we are able to improve the relationship between structure and function with chiropractic adjustment.
The nervous system is the ‘master control center’ of the body, or in computer terms, the CPU. After an adjustment, a cascade of events occurs that have far reaching benefits on the body. Because an adjustment is affecting the nervous system, the effects are similar to pressing the ‘re-boot’ button on your computer. Here is a list of some of the potential benefits of the chiropractic adjustment:
– acceleration of tissue healing
– pain relief
– removal of edema (swelling)
– restoration of motion
– improvement in joint biomechanics
– balancing muscle tone & improved coordination
– improvement in athletic performance
– increased nutrition to discs and facet (spinal) joints
– relaxation of spastic muscles
– restoration of normal sensory input to the brain
– improvement in the coordination of complimentary muscles
– re-learning of healthy reflex motor programs
– reduction in the progression of degenerative change or arthritis
– reduction biomechanical stress on the body
With all these benefits, it’s a great idea to see a chiropractor today for a ‘re-boot’ of your system!